Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Spring Hill

Andrew and I are both huge history buffs, and love checking out historical sites, museums and learning new facts whenever we can, and that's exactly why we went to Spring Hill. Spring Hill is a historical site where a house that was a part of the underground railroad sits.



We got an updated picture of all the siblings that are back at home, minus Larry and Karleia because they were both working.








I can't begin to fathom how horrible it must have been for the runaway slaves using the underground railroad to cram into tiny spaces and use such narrow stairs as these. This stair case was completely hidden within the walls of the house, so it can't be seen from the other levels of the house.









A log cabin used to sit over this cellar door, which the tour guide and workers of Spring Hill believe was used as part of the underground railroad. She said that there is one day in July were the guides will actually give tours of the underground tunnels the slaves had to crawl through to reach the next safe house. I'm not sure if I could have handle going through the tunnels being 7 months pregnant, but I would love to check it out sometime.





These last two pictures just melt my heart each time I look at them; I love that Rebekah is holding onto Daddy's and Grandpa's hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment